The truck driver was observed on camera looking at the rear window as it shattered (in response to a hearing a tapping noise generated by the bolt).
Risk: Harm to people from falling elevated components.
Recommendations to industry:
- Where fixed guards are used to prevent people from falling or moving objects:
- the maximum aperture size of the guard should be less than the object size
- the guard should have sufficient strength to withstand the load imposed by the falling or moving object.
- Risk assessments should consider the potential for falling/flying objects.
- Safety glass should be considered for all windows on vehicles.
- Mines should check rear window guards on tip trucks for this risk.
Refer to: AS 4024.1601 Safety of machinery – Design of controls interlocks and guarding – Guards – General requirements for the design and construction of fixed and movable guards.