Recommendations to industry: Mine operators should ensure the following are in place for conveyor systems at their mine:
- Conveyor pulleys are designed with the appropriate life for the intended duty.
- Carbon monoxide monitoring or particulates of combustion sensors are be installed in appropriate locations to assist in the early detection of fire and heatings
- Alarm set points and trigger action response plans should be developed that suit each installation
- A water source is readily available to quickly extinguish a fire at any place along a conveyor belt
- Conveyor inspections are undertaken regularly
- Temperature for head and tail pulley bearings.
Consider the applicable recommendations in MDG 1032 Prevention of coal mine fires and AS/NZS 4024.3611