An apprentice electrician under the direct supervision of an electrician was resetting a hydraulic pump of a lighting plant. When the apprentice pushed the start button they suffered an electric
shock. An initial investigation found that the insulation of an internal wire had rubbed through.
Recommendations to Industry:
Workers should not suffer electric shocks when conducting any form of work. AS/NZS 3000 requires all exposed metallic parts and panel lids to be earthed. Control switches that have voltages above ELV should have suitable protection and maintained in a fit-for-purpose state throughout their life cycle.