Summary: An articulated haul truck was leaving the pit floor loaded with material and as it turned onto the main ramp, one of the rear tyres blew out. The shift in load caused the body of the truck to overturn. The cabin of the haul truck remained upright and the driver was not injured.
Recommendations to industry: Mine operators using articulated dump trucks should:
- ensure prestart checks include inspections of tyres for defects
- tyres are at correct operating pressures
- tyres are changed at the appropriate wear limit
- tyres are not operated above original equipment manufacturer recommendations of load or Tkph
- roads are maintained to reduce the likelihood of punctures to as low as is reasonably practicable.