In another reported dangerous mining incident in the last week, a driller suffered an electric shock but did not sustain any serious injury.
According to the New South Wales Resources Regulator (NSWRR) the incident occurred when area lights were removed from a drill rig on a night shift. They were reportedly removed following a number of electrical trips.
The day shift driller found a replacement light bar and installed it.
When the driller went to adjust the lights, he suffered an electric shock. An ECG cleared him of any injury.
An investigation identified that the light bar had been plugged into the incorrect supply. A 24V DC and 32V AC supply were using a common socket and installed next to each other. The operator inadvertently plugged the light bar to the incorrect supply.
The Regulator has published a number of recommendations for industry. Specifically, where different voltages are used on equipment/plant they should have unique sockets and plugs to prevent inadvertent use.
The regulator also highlighted that mines must have systems in place where plant and equipment is inspected to ensure it is fit for purpose when entering the site.
Repairs must only be undertaken by competent tradespeople.
Read more Mining Safety News