Overview of the role:
Applications are invited for the position of Principal Safety Advisor in a lead role within the Safety Department onsite.
Reporting directly to the Manager – Safety, Health & Hygiene, and working closely with a team of safety and health professionals the role’s key objective is to oversee the operational aspects of occupational safety including the implementation, maintenance, compliance and continuous improvement of Nyrstar Port Pirie’s Safety Management System.
Critical to this role is the ability to communicate, engage, and influence the site’s employees and Extended Leadership Team. The role coaches the leaders in the business, leads safety initiatives including continuous improvement strategies and champions a strong site safety culture in order to achieve world class safety outcomes.
Key responsibilities of the role include, but are not limited to:
- Monitor and maintain Site Safety Systems, facilitate an awareness of safety issues and ensure that the Site operates in compliance with internal and external requirements
- Implement improvements in the Safety Management System
- Monitor and maintain Safety related policies/procedures in accordance with legislative requirements
- Facilitate comprehensive investigations in response to injuries and near misses, including facilitation of ICAM investigations and leadership coaching
- Maintain ongoing two-way stakeholder consultation and mechanisms for safety communications/ information sharing/ learning across site
- Ensure systems are in place that all employees have adequate training in safe work practices, hazard identification, and emergency and evacuation procedures
- Complete improvement projects in consultation with operations
- Develop, monitor and support achievement of Department KPIs
- Maintain effective management of service level agreements with key stakeholders
- Compile and report on health and safety statistics, coordinate audits and develop strategy/ action plans
- Provide safety technical advice to the site, including subject matter expertise in assigned areas of responsibility, and mentoring the Safety Specialist team
- Manage the operational aspects of the security contract, and safety budget.
- University level qualification in Occupational Safety or Occupational Hygiene are essential
- Certificate IV in Frontline Management (or Similar) would be highly regarded
- Substantial demonstrated experience in a comparable senior safety role
- Demonstrated track record of achieving results and improving SHH performance across a range of metrics, in a challenging global environment
- Strong understanding of legislated and industry requirements and best practice
- Demonstrated ability to positively influence and drive safety cultural change
- Demonstrated advanced troubleshooting and investigation skills
- Demonstrated ability to manage operational aspects of contractor management
- Consultative customer-centric approach
- Influencing skills — ability to positively persuade a team or peers to move in a desired direction, build relationships, and negotiate effectively
- Strong coaching and communication skills with demonstrated ability to improve safety knowledge and skills of operational leaders
- Understanding of budgeting and cost control
- Proficient in the use of the Microsoft suite of products, particularly Word, Excel, Outlook and SAP, RIMS
- Alignment with the Nyrstar Way
Applications must be submitted via the Seek website application process. APPLY HERE
Enquiries regarding this role should be directed to HR Superintendent, Julian Blight via email: email@example.com