Northern Star Jundee was winner of the Mining Emergency Response Competition (MERC) over the weekend.
MERC participants, volunteers, sponsors and Mines and Petroleum Minister Bill Johnston celebrated the winners, of the seventh annual event, at a gala dinner in Perth last night.
A total of 15 Western Australian teams showcased their expert response skills in real-life emergency situations including firefighting, road crashes, vertical and confined space rescue, and handling hazardous materials.
MERC in partnership with Holyoake, raised almost $60,000 at this year’s event. The funds will go towards developing a wellness app, My Wellbeing Mate.
Other category winners included:
- Road Crash – Synergy Muja Power;
- Hazardous Materials – Synergy Muja Power;
- Vertical Rescue – FMG Cloudbreak;
- Fire Fighting – Rio Iron Ore Coastal;
- Confined Space – Northern Star Jundee;
- First Aid – Northern Star Jundee;
- Emergency Response Team – Anglo Ashanti (Sunrise Dam);
- Best Captain – Northern Star Jundee;
- Team Safety – Northern Star Jundee;
- Overall First Aid – Northern Star Jundee;
- Overall Breathing Apparatus – Anglo Ashanti (Sunrise Dam); and
- Outstanding Medic – Sandra Wagner – Northern Star.