Surface – Sand – A tire contractor was seriously injured when the front-end loader he was repairing fell on him. The front-end loader had been lifted and placed on cribbing to repair a flat tire. The contractor was underneath the loader adjusting one of the lifting jacks when the cribbing shifted causing the loader to fall. The tire contractor was struck and his hard hat became wedged between the cribbing and loader frame.
• Ensure that blocking material is competent, substantial, and adequate to
support and stabilize the load.
• Establish and discuss safe work procedures.
• Examine work areas and identify and control all hazards before starting any
• Make sure proper tools and equipment are used to completethe job.
• Do not place yourself in a position that will expose you to
hazards while performing a task.
• Monitor personnel routinely to determine that safe work
procedures are followed.
• Maintain good communication between co-workers.
• Ensure that your contractors have received the appropriate task training