Unfortunately workplace accidents are a more regular occurrence in Australia than they should be.
To prevent workplace injuries and to stay safe at work, St John Ambulance Victoria has compiled the top tips you and your colleagues can undertake.
1. Watch out from above! Dozens of Australian workers die each year due to falling objects. By staying aware of your surroundings on the ground and above, and by wearing protective equipment when on site, you can dramatically reduce your risk of injury from falling objects.
2. Stay hydrated Keeping hydrated is important whether you’re working outside, or in an office all day. Staying hydrated is not only good for your body, but it can also improve focus and concentration. Stay away from sugary drinks if you can as they can increase the speed of dehydration.
3. Be extra aware when working from heights This seems like an obvious tip, but unfortunately between 2003 and 2015, 359 Australian workplace deaths were caused by people falling from heights. It is extremely important when working from heights to manage the risks effectively, such as using barriers when necessary.
4. Take care of your mental health too High levels of stress can have an enormous impact on your mental health in the workplace. Learning to manage stress caused by work is an extremely important tool to teach yourself. Take time to recharge outside of work and learn coping mechanisms that work for you such as meditation.
5. Always beaware of your surroundings, it might not be you! In 2015, Safework Australia found almost 50 bystanders were killed in workplace accidents. This means that these people didn’t cause the accident, but suffered the ultimate consequence because of it.
To reduce the risks to you and your co-workers, always watch out for hazards and poor safety practice in the workplace. Safety in the workplace is everyone’s responsibility.