Plant – Limestone – An accident occurred when a miner was attempting to change the oil filter on the diesel motor for the cone crusher. The miner was using a filter wrench to remove the filter while standing on the battery box adjacent to the motor.. The filter wrench broke and slipped causing the employee to fall about 5 feet to the ground causing injury.
• Establish and discuss safe work procedures before beginning the task to ensure that workers are not exposed to hazards when performing maintenance or repairs
• Communicate and correct hazards in a timely manner.
• Ensure that workers are trained in and follow established safe work procedures recommended by the equipment manufacturer
• Provide safe access to all work areas including elevated platforms.
• Use appropriate fall protection or fall prevention where there is a danger of falling
• Inspect all tools prior to starting the job for defects that may affect safety